My geek nature meant that I had to try Windows 7 Beta on at least one of my computers. I can’t say I was as down on Vista as most people who leave comments online, but 7 seems to be a great leap forward. I like it. Getting the apps to run on Windows 7 is very similar to getting them to run on Vista:
Internet Explorer and Firefox:
- Download and install the latest version of Java (such as Version 6, Update 11). You can get it here.
- Copy the file C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll to folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 18.104.22.168\bin\hotspot. (Overwrite the existing jvm.dll.)
- In folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 22.214.171.124\lib, rename “font.properties.zh.5” to “font.properties.zh.6” and “font.properties.zh.5.1” to “font.properties.zh.6.1”
- If you use multiple languages, use a text editor (such as Notepad) to open file “C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 126.96.36.199\lib\font.properties”. Search for “\u5b8b\u4f53=SIMSUN.TTF” and change it to “\u5b8b\u4f53=SIMSUN.TTC”. This is an optional step
Go to Tools> Internet Options> Advanced. Disable 3rd Party Extensions by unchecking as below:
Click the Compatibility Viewer button to the right of the address bar as below and follow the instructions:
(My thanks to Garry Martin, CTO of Fujitsu’s Microsoft Practice in the UK for this IE8 tip.)
You should be good.
- Go to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 188.8.131.52\bin. Find “NPJinit13121.dll” and copy it.
- Paste it into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\.