I bought a new laptop about a year ago and had Vista installed. I showed up at the client site the following Monday and spent the better part of a day trying to get Oracle to come up. Nothing I tried worked. That night, 3 days after the laptop arrived, I “upgraded to a previous version” and installed XP. I never gave a thought to Vista again until a colleague of mine brought his bright shiny new laptop into work a couple of weeks ago and nonchalantly mentioned that Oracle was working just fine with his Vista Ultimate. Like a red rag to a bull…!
Much Googling that evening – yeah I’m competitive!- led me to this solution. I’ve tried it on a couple of different computers and it seems to work well:
You should be able to make it work by following these instructions:
Internet Explorer and Firefox
- Download and install the latest version of Java (such as Version 6, Update 11). You can get it here.
- Copy the file C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll to folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 220.127.116.11\bin\hotspot. (Overwrite the existing jvm.dll.)
- In folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 18.104.22.168\lib, rename “font.properties.zh.5” to “font.properties.zh.6” and “font.properties.zh.5.1” to “font.properties.zh.6.1”
- If you use multiple languages, use a text editor (such as Notepad) to open file “C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 22.214.171.124\lib\font.properties”. Search for “\u5b8b\u4f53=SIMSUN.TTF” and change it to “\u5b8b\u4f53=SIMSUN.TTC”. This is an optional step.
This should be all you need to get Oracle running on IE7. However, if IE7 crashes every time Jinitiator tries to open Oracle Forms, you should try disabling third-party browser extensions. In IE7, go to Tools> Internet Options> Advanced and uncheck the box as below:
If you are using IE8, you will also have to click on the Compatibility button to the right of the address bar as below:
(My thanks to Garry Martin, CTO of Fujitsu’s Microsoft Practice in the UK for this IE8 tip.)
These additional steps are required if you plan to use Firefox:
- Go to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 126.96.36.199\bin. Find NPJinit13121.dll and copy it.
- Paste it into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\