Oracle Applications on Windows Vista
Getting Oracle Applications up and running on a Windows Vista machine can be a challenge, but it is possible. You should be able to make it work by following these instructions:
Internet Explorer and Firefox
- Download and install the latest version of Java (such as Version 6, Update 11). You can get it here.
- Copy the file C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll to folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 22.214.171.124\bin\hotspot. (Overwrite the existing jvm.dll.)
- In folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 126.96.36.199\lib, rename "font.properties.zh.5" to "font.properties.zh.6" and "font.properties.zh.5.1" to "font.properties.zh.6.1"
- If you use multiple languages, use a text editor (such as Notepad) to open file "C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 188.8.131.52\lib\font.properties". Search for "\u5b8b\u4f53=SIMSUN.TTF" and change it to "\u5b8b\u4f53=SIMSUN.TTC". This is an optional step.
This should be all you need to get Oracle running on IE7. However, if IE7 crashes every time Jinitiator tries to open Oracle Forms, you should try disabling third-party browser extensions. In IE7, go to Tools> Internet Options> Advanced and uncheck the box as below:
I have not been able to get Oracle working on IE8 and Oracle warns against its use (see here). If you have IE8 on your computer, I recommend that you use Firefox to run Oracle.
These additional steps are required if you plan to use Firefox:
- Go to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator 184.108.40.206\bin. Find NPJinit13121.dll and copy it.
- Paste it into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\